Thursday, September 4, 2014

Last day of infant class gifts - - Prickly pear jam



A week after my daughter's birthday, she transferred from infant room to toddler room. It was a big change for her. No bottles, no random naps, no frequent feeding, new room, new teacher and new friends. She is a big girl now.
My husband and I have loved the teachers in the infant room since day 1. We wanted to give them something homemade/handmade as kind of last-day-of-infant-room gift. 
My husband had this idea of making prickly pear jam since they are right in season.

We collected from the neighborhood. 


Picture from http://ieatgrass.com/2011/04/produce-that-matters-cactus-pear/

DO NOT touch prickly pears! Use a knife and cute right into the bucket!

Rinse.
Cut and mesh.

We used three layers of cheese cloth to filter the spines and skin out.
I also used a ginger pressed to help squeeze more juice out. This is totally optional. It only helped a little bit.


We used the blueberry jam receipe. You'll need sugar, pectin and large pot.


Here we are. Jam in the jars.


I used some wrapping paper, twine, labels and paper butterflies to decorate the mason jars.Click here if you wanna try to make the paper butterflies.


A closer look.


Packed them in a bag. Ready to go.


My dear hubby found a heart shape prickly pear. How cute!
The message he left me!













No comments:

Post a Comment